lesly-juarez-isWEKdSRCrA-unsplash.jpg
 
 

The Harp’s story so far…

About us

Lochee Harp Football Club is a Scottish Junior Football Club based in the Lochee area of the City of Dundee.

Formed in 1904 and nicknamed "The Harp", the Club was established in the Irish community of Lochee. We were set up in much the same way as Celtic, by local priests and church members to alleviate the boredom of the workers and provide some recreation.

Early Years

Lochee Harp enjoyed huge success in its early years, winning the Dundee Junior League in their first season of existence, and quickly became a popular part of a thriving community.

By 1933, The Harp had won ten Dundee Junior League titles. It was this year that one of the greatest Junior teams in history were assembled, having six international players in the squad (see photo below) .

(Did you know: Lochee Harp have had 13 players who won 22 international caps for Junior Scotland. Between them they also played 9 matches for Junior Scotland against non-international opposition, e.g senior clubs, junior selects, benefit matches, etc. The club had seven other players who only played in non-international matches. Another notable fact, is that Hector and Jimmy Duncan were one of only two father and son combinations capped for Junior Scotland and played for the same club. The other was George and Willie Westwater of Dunipace).

On April 26th 1941 Beechwood Park hosted its first fixture, with Lochee Harp as its first tenants. The building of the ground was the result of some incredibly persistent work by Alexander ‘Sandy’ Aimer, who demanded a football pitch be erected in Lochee for the local teams.

That first game saw the famous green strip run out against a Hibs/Hearts select XI, with Lochee Harp demolishing their opponents 8-2. Playing on the right wing that day, and scoring five goals to catapult him into stardom, was Gordon Smith, who remains the only man to have won three top Scottish titles with three clubs and formed part of the ‘famous five’ at Hibernian.

 
 

Lochee Harp 1934-35

Back row left: J Dunn (Secretary), A Brown, T Adamson, W Cameron (Trainer)

Front row left: A Ferguson, H Duncan, G Walls (President), P Coleman, R Boag

 
 

Looking forward

In our more recent history, Beechwood Park on Kings Cross Road closed its doors for the last time in 2017. In its final game at the old Beechwood, the Harp ran out 8-2 victors against Brechin Vics - a stirring end to its proud history at the Club’s old ground. In the game, Gordon Ramsay scored the last ever goal with a screamer of a volley.

We are looking forward to moving into the new Beechwood Park on Lundie Avenue later this year, and we’ll keep you up to date with all the preparations and the opening of our new ground.